Friday, September 4, 2009

So-Easy charm-pack quilt

I just had to share this with you:


Ingredients: * 36--5" squares * 2-1/2 yards of fabric * approx. 50" square of batting (I use warm & natural--or warm & white in this case) * quilt basting spray (I like june tailor brand from Joann's--don't forget your 40% coupon!) * your choice of thread * safety pins

Instructions:

Cut your 2-1/2 yards of fabric in half so you have two pieces that measure 1-1/4 yards (or 45" square).

Lay your charms (5" squares) in 6 rows of 6 in a manner pleasing to you on the pretty side of one piece of fabric. (Okay, note: I like to do things fast, so I did not mark/measure/etc. my rows in a meticulous fashion. Needless to say, they are not perfect, but then, neither am I. I quilt for my own fun. That said, feel free to be way more precise, if you'd like. That is good, too.)



Now, use the basting spray on the back of each square and stick 'em on the fabric. Don't be scared, with the spray I use you can easily move them around if needed.


You are ready to make your quilt "sandwich"--yes, now!


Take the other 1-1/4 piece of fabric and lay it nice side down. Then put your batting on top of it. Then, grab your spouse, friend--basically, two more hands--and put your quilt top on top of your batting. Now, pin a safety pin in smack dab in the center of each 5" square. Yes, you just basted your quilt. You are so ready to sew.


Here's a closer-up of the stitching lines:


Using my 1/4" foot, I just sew a straight line of stitches from the top of the quilt to the bottom of the quilt, first on the right side then the left side of each row of 5" squares (refer to above photo). Do this across the whole quilt. Then, flip your quilt 1/4 turn and do the same thing again. You will now have a bunch of nifty straight stitching lines across your quilt.


Now, wash your quilt--this time I just used cold water, gentle cycle, a little Tide--and then dry it. (So far I've done that twice.) Loving it. Oh, right--don't forget to bind. (As evidenced by my pictures, no binding has occured yet. But it will.)

A couple of notes: the basting spray is nice and sticky. Be prepared to clean off the bottom of your presser foot at least once during stitching. Also, my machine was very happy to get a new needle after stitching--it got rather gummy during this project.

Did not expect to turn this into a tutorial. Just wanted to show you pictures, but you must try this! It took just about 3-4 hours. Please let me know if I can clarify anything (does that go without saying?). Have fun! And remember, easy-peasy!

1 comment:

  1. This is really cool. I've been collecting nickles for years and have a billion (it seems). I can't wait to try this good idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...what's going on?!